Farmers have made good use of the Farm Stewardship and Farm and Ranch Water Infrastructure program under Growing Forward 2.

The programs are also available under the Canadian Agricultural Partnership.

Swift Current Creek Watershed Stewards BMP Technician Dallas Peters says watersheds groups around the province can help producers work through the program, and available funding options.

"Our assistance to producers with these types of projects is free, and we can help with the paperwork, advising on eligibility, checking for permits, approvals, and permissions beforehand, and even submit the applications for you. Our services are especially important with projects which require pre-approvals and pre-assessments such as soils qualifications and rangeland assessments."

She says FSP (Farm Stewardship Program) projects must be pre-approved with the exception of variable rate mapping, so there is some work to do prior to starting any project.

“For example, a new beneficial management practice under FSP is the Invasive Plant Biocontrol and Targeted Grazing. This project entitles 50% of eligible costs to a combined maximum of $45,000 per year. It aims to use methods of biocontrol on problematic weeds such as leafy spurge, common burdock, Russian knapweed, Canada thistle, scentless chamomile, common tansy, nodding thistle, field bindweed, yellow toadflax, and absinthe.”

Under the Farm and Ranch Water Infrastructure Program dugouts, pipeline and well projects are eligible for a maximum rebate of 50% of eligible costs.

Producers who took part in the Farm Stewardship and Farm and Ranch Water Infrastructure Program under Growing Forward 2 are also eligible for funding through the Federal-Provincial CAP program but should take note of some of the changes prior to starting any work.

She notes there are certain eligibility criteria that producers must meet for the program.

“Basic eligibility for both the FSP and FRWIP programs are based on the applicant earning a minimum of $50,000 gross farm income in Saskatchewan, being a Saskatchewan agricultural producer (as an individual, partnership, or corporation) or First Nations Band, must be 18 years of age, and having a premises ID number if you own, lease, or rent property where livestock and/or poultry are grown, kept, bred, raised, displayed, assembled or disposed of. If you meet all of these requirements then the eligibility for your specific project will be based on what is required under the project description.”

Producers can contact their local watershed group AETS or the Agricultural Knowledge Center to find out more information.  Information on critical habitat, species at risk, and invasive weeds are available through SODCAP at 306-530-1385.

The program information is also available through workshops like the Targeted Grazing Academy and Invasive Weed Information Workshop coming up February 5-7 in Swift Current. 

More details on the different programs and funding options available under the Federal-Provincial Canadian Agricultural Partnership program are available here.  


More Local Sports

Forward Hog Contract Prices Weaken

Forward hog contract prices have softened a little bit. Tyler Fulton is the Director of Risk Management with Hams Marketing Services. "They finished last week a bit higher, but in general they've… is Swift Current's only source for community news and information such as weather and classifieds.