We wrapped up one of our Frontier Days contests, Fair Fact or Fiction, on Tuesday morning, where we gave away a lot of Frontier Days prizes including Knights of Valour tickets and Innovation Credit Union iRide passes. It was a pretty high-pressure contest; where if the contestant made an incorrect guess, the next person on the phone line automatically received the prize; but there were only two misses in the eight days we played.
Here are some fun facts about Frontier Days, many of them supplied by the Swift Current Ag & Ex...
- Beard growing competitions were a very popular event in the early years of Frontier Days, in fact they were so popular, it earned Swift Current the nickname "the Bearded City".
- Parts of the Frontier Days rodeo in 1969 were filmed by the British Broadcasting Corporation and were used in a 50-minute colour film produced by the BBC on the Calgary Stampede.
- Frontier Days will welcome PREVO, an 8-foot Tyrannosaurus Rex, that will roam around the grounds this weekend.
- The fair in 1963 featured an epic tug-of-war contest with staff at CKSW and CJFB-TV taking on the printers.
- Much of Frontier Days will take place at Kinetic Exhibition Park, named for the Swift Current Kinetic Club that started the fair in 1937.
- A single mini-donut has 24 calories (but you can't eat just one!)
Congratulations to all of our winners, and if you missed out on Fair Fact or Fiction, you have another chance to win some Frontier Days prizes with "Bring Your Bestie to Frontier Days", where you could win a prize package that includes tickets to all of the grandstand shows and iRide passes valued at nearly $300. We'll make the draw on the Magic Morning Show on June 24th, so send in your pictures to [email protected], or post them on Facebook or Twitter!
Also, when you're at Kinetic Exhibition Park this weekend, make sure to stop by our RV from Sterling Trailers in Medicine Hat and say hi to us, and enter your name for a bunch of great prizes that we'll draw for on Monday!