Magic 97 is the new home of the Swift Current SPCA John Mueller Memorial Radiothon, with the 3rd annual event set for Friday, May 27, from 8:00am to 8:00pm at Market Square on Central & Chaplin. This year, the SPCA is looking to raise $25,000 to help with the operations at the local shelter.
Here are some facts about the local SPCA:
- The Swift Current SPCA is a community-based registered charity, and has been providing animal shelter services to the city and surrounding area since 1973.
- The local SPCA is a "no kill" shelter. This means the shelter never euthanizes pets for the sake of creating room for more animals, but it also means that at times where there is limited space, there could be a waiting list to take in new pets.
- The SPCA has a foster program, which sees individuals and families take in a pet for a temporary period for a stay in their home if the pet has special needs, doesn't adjust to shelter life, or needs to socialize with other pets.
- Last year, the Swift Current SPCA had 175 pet adoptions, microchipped about 200 pets, and helped reunite 59 pets with their owners.
- The SPCA receives no provincial or federal government funding, which means about 80% of their annual operating budget, or roughly $250,000, must be raised in the community through donations, grants and fundraisers.
The radiothon will also include a light breakfast with coffee, muffins and cinnamon buns from Schimmel's Dutch Bakery for $3.00 from 8:00am-10:00am, a hot dog BBQ lunch from 11:00am-2:00pm with a hot dog and beverage available for $5.00, and pizza from Moe's 2 for 1 Family Pizza will be available for $4.00 per slice and beverage from 4:30pm to 6:30pm, with proceeds from all three meals going to the SPCA.
A variety of local performers will also be on hand for the radiothon throughout the day, and you can also take a look at some of the SPCA's shelter pets in the afternoon. The SPCA will also be selling items from the Used Book Store and tickets for the spring raffle, which we will draw for live during the radiothon at 7:30pm. Prizes up for grabs include $100 in gasoline, a gardening package from Kwan's Southside Greenhouse and EMF Nutrition, $60 in gift cards from Original Joe's, and a family fun package including a Star wars board game and a $25 DQ gift card. Demi Kaye Photography will also be on site from 3:00pm to 7:00pm to take your pet's picture for the SPCA 2017 Calendar for just $5.00.
You can make your contribution to the radiothon by calling 306-778-SPCA (7722) or in person at Market Square on Friday, and all donations over $10 will be eligible for a charitable tax receipt. If you're unable to make a pledge on Friday, your donations are always welcome online anytime at spcaswiftcurrent.com.
Thanks as well to the radiothon sponsors!
- Premier sponsor: Swift Current Building Supplies Ltd
- Platinum Sponsors: Bridal Builders Inc., Melhoff Electric
- Gold Sponsors: WW Smith Insurance Ltd, 5 Point Electric Ltd, Crutch’s Plumbing & Heating Ltd, Batco Manufacturing, Swift Current Monumental Co. Ltd, SIGA, Innovation Credit Union
- Silver Sponsors: Lynn Hurl- Century 21, Stitch Master, MacBean Tessem, Smart Flowers, Pioneer Co-op, Warehouse Floors, Wallace Construction
Please join us and support the Swift Current SPCA in the 3rd annual John Mueller Memorial Radiothon Friday on Magic 97!